The last 950 years of music will be celebrated in Richmond this weekend as part of the events marking the city’s birth.
Performances will take place at Richmond Castle, Town Hall and Market Square.
Marcia McLuckie, of Celebrate 950, said: “It’s a chance to enjoy Richmond Castle like never before with the medieval pop-up tavern in the Castle Keep provided by Richmond Brewing Company, music and storytelling from the Medieval minstrels and tasty treats from Granny’s Cuisine. “
Soak up the sounds with this range:
- Find – Richmond’s medieval minstrels with lively music on bagpipes and drums, plus tavern storytelling.
- Tom fool – the dumbest man in town. Returning to Richmond after his popular performance in May.
- The Tanners Ran – clicking sounds on traditional Georgian and Victorian instruments.
- Norman invasion, playing folk music from England and abroad, using clarinets, melodeons and bagpipes and singing along with their great music.
- Dante Ferrara, the Elizabethan musician with his hurdy-gurdy and other instruments.
- Dance academy rhythm and shoes bringing us the Charleston – everyone’s favorite!
- Aelf wine – medieval music to relax.
- Fourum – The incredible Richmond folk group with songs from Richmond and Swaledale – a true musical story.
- Leeds is waiting – Tudor and Jacobean music on intriguing instruments.
Saturday October 9 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Location: The Richmond Castle Dungeon Tavern Trouvere, The Ran Tanners and Tom Fool with music, storytelling and general madness. Drinks from the Dungeon Tavern and culinary delights from Granny’s Kitchen.
- Location: Richmond Town Hall, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Dante Ferrara and the Norman invasion
- Location: Richmond Marketplace from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Find, the Ran Tanner and Dante Ferrara and his hurdy-gurdy taking turns.
Sunday October 10 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Location: The tavern in the keep of Richmond Castle. Trouvere, The Ran Tanners and Tom Fool, joined in the morning by the dancers of the Rhythm & Shoes Academy and in the afternoon by Aelfwine
- Location: Richmond Town Hall from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Leeds Waits, Norman Invasion and Richmond’s own Fourum
- Location: Richmond Marketplace, 11 am-4pm. Tom Fool, The Ran Tanners and Trouvere
No entrance fees for Town Hall and Market Square, and residents of Richmond and Catterick get free entry on weekends.
For more details, click here.